In our third blog on common phrasal verbs and their meanings, we’re looking at those beginning with COME. Have a look at the questions below, first.
Can you complete these sentences? Use the table below to help you.
about – across – along – along – back – by – down – out – out – out – over – with – with – with
- He came _______ with the flu.
- He comes _______ as rather rude, but he isn’t.
- How are you coming _______ _______ the research paper?
- How did your idea for the book come _______?
- I didn’t see the car at first. It came _______ of nowhere.
- I’ll come _______ later this afternoon.
- Microsoft is coming _______ _______ a new video game system next month.
- Sam came _______ with us to the beach.
- The computer system doesn’t come _______ a printer.
- The pictures came _______
- What time are you coming _______ ?
- Why don’t you come _______ after work for dinner?
If you’re still not sure, you can check the answers here:
Now add an example sentence. Remember, if you make the example personal you won’t forget it.
|Phrasal Verb||Meaning||Example Sentence|
|come about||occur / happen|
|come across something||discover by accident|
|come across angry, sad etc.||initially seem or have the appearance of being happy, sad etc. or like someone else|
|come along||accompany someone|
|come along with someone||accompany|
|come along with something||progress|
|come away||leave a place with a particular feeling or impression|
|come by something||get, receive, find|
|come by||visit a person at their house|
|come down with something||become sick with|
|come into something||inherit|
|come off something||fall off, break off|
|come out||reveal you are homosexual|
|come out||turn out, end up|
|come out with something||produce and distribute a product|
|come over||visit someone at their house|
|come to / round||regain consciousness|
|come through||do what is needed or expected|
|come up to a standard||approach; to equal|
|come up with a plan etc.||produce or create (an idea, a plan)|
|come with an accessory||include (an accessory)|
Ready to practise?
Or go to kahoot.it and enter the code: 0831924
Here you will find multiple choice question where you need to choose the correct phrasal verb to finish the sentence. You’ll be competing against other players this month. This round ends on 26 September 2020.
Here you will find flashcards where you can STUDY the phrasal verbs and their definitions and then PLAY a matching game where you try to match the phrasal verbs/definitions in the fastest time.
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE, and English plus Surfing and Yoga in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.