On Wednesday Nicole took over the Campus kitchen and showed the students how to make simple but Yummy Christmas Cookies.
The cooking activities are always popular and many students were interested to join.
To get in the right Christmas Spirits the student brought a speaker and put on some Christmas music. There is no Christmas Cookies without Christmas Music!
Nicole explained the Ingredients for the Cookie dough and also that the Australians measure in cups, in most countries they use grams.
We did simple Vanilla Biscuits, similar to short bread and used cookie cutters to cut out Christmas shaped Cookies.
The recipe is from RecipeTinEats, I absolutely love that page, you should check it out 🙂
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (or use salted, skip salt)
- 1 cup caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (55-60g / 1.9-2oz)
- 3 cups flour, plain / all purpose
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat Oven to 180°C / 350°F (160°C fan). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy (1 minute on speed 5)
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until completely combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Start mixing slowly, then beat until the flour is incorporated – it will be clumpy.
- Dust work surface with flour, scrape dough out of bowl. Pat together then cut in half, then shape into 2 discs.
- Roll out to 0.3cm / 1/8″ (for thinner, crispier cookies) or 0.6cm / 1/4″ (for thicker, softer cookies), sprinkling with flour under and over the dough so it doesn’t stick.
- Use cookie cutters to press out shapes and use a knife or spatula to transfer shapes to prepared baking sheets. (Keep dough that doesn’t fit in the oven in the fridge).
- Bake for 10 minutes, swapping trays halfway until the surface is pale golden and the edges are just beginning to turn light golden.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on trays (they will finish cooking on the trays).
The students has so much fun cutting out these Christmas Cookies.
We also made colorful icing and filled it in different piping bags for an easy way of decorating the cookies !
ICING FOR SUGAR COOKIEs
- 500g / 1 lbicing sugar / powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4cup egg white (2 small eggs or 1.5 large eggs) (Note 2)
- 2tbsp corn syrup (or 1.5 tbsp glucose syrup, Note 3)
- 5tbsp water, plus more as needed
We had a cockatoo cookie cutter, and the students loved it!
Such great and yummy results!
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE, and English plus Surfing in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.