For our Wednesday afternoon activity here in Noosa, our students went stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) and kayaking!
Noosa is an amazing destination for all water sports including stand-up paddling boarding and kayaking. We have pristine waters, stunning beaches, and scenic waterways that make it an ideal location to enjoy this popular water activity. If you’re a beginner or experienced paddler, Noosa is the perfect place with its flat and calm waters.
We’ve been spoilt with incredible autumn weather lately, so we thought there is no better way to spend an afternoon then floating around on the water! And this is exactly what 13 of our students did.
Boardwalk Boat Hire welcomes our students and takes great care of them. With their latest technology boards and qualified staff, our students are always in great hands. On arrival, our students received beginner instructions, buoyancy vests, dry bags and a map and ideas on where to go. Below are some very helpful tips on how to perfect your SUPing technique:
- Start in calm water: Preferably with minimal boat traffic or waves. This will make it easier for you to find your balance and gain confidence.
- Begin on your knees: Start by kneeling on the paddleboard, positioning yourself near the center of the board. This will provide stability and help you get accustomed to the feeling of being on the water.
- Grip the paddle correctly: Hold the paddle with one hand on the top of the grip and the other hand on the shaft. Ensure that the blade is facing away from you.
- Paddle in a kneeling position: Once you are in a kneeling position, use the paddle to start paddling on either side of the board. Take short strokes, keeping your arms straight and using your core muscles to generate power.
- Transition to standing: When you feel comfortable and balanced on your knees, you can gradually transition to a standing position. Place your hands on the board, shoulder-width apart, and step one foot up at a time, placing them where your knees were positioned.
- Find your balance: As you stand up, keep your feet parallel and hip-width apart, with your toes facing forward. Distribute your weight evenly on both feet, engaging your core muscles for stability.
- Maintain a relaxed posture: Keep your knees slightly bent, and maintain a relaxed stance. Avoid locking your knees or hunching over, as this can affect your balance and stability.
- Start paddling: With your standing position established, you can begin paddling. Dip the paddle blade into the water in front of you and pull it backward, using your core and back muscles. The paddle stroke should start at the front of the board and end near your feet.
- Alternate paddle sides: To maintain a straight course, alternate your paddle strokes on both sides of the board. This will help you move forward efficiently and maintain balance.
- Look ahead: Keep your gaze focused on the horizon or where you want to go, rather than staring down at your feet or the paddle. Looking ahead will help you maintain stability and balance.
- Practice and adjust: Paddleboarding requires practice to improve your skills. Take your time to get comfortable on the board, adjust your technique, and gradually challenge yourself with longer paddles or different water conditions.
All of the students were naturals as they stood up straight away without a single wobble or without anyone falling in the water. They all supported each other and stuck together, paddling through the beautiful Noosa canals. They had an absolute ball this afternoon SUP’ing, swimming and having water fights.
SUP’ing offers numerous benefits that contribute to its popularity and why it is considered a good activity. Here are some listed below:
- Full body workout.
- Low impact activity
- Core strength and stability
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Stress relief and relaxation
- Connection with nature
- Versatility and accessibility
Stand-up paddleboarding is such a fun activity and a sport that is easily addictive! The students were all having so much fun as you can tell by the smiles on their faces and endless laughter out in the water!
Not studying with us yet, but would like to?
Lexis Noosa delivers academic excellence in Australia’s most desirable study location where you can combine your studies with the great outdoors. Studying at Lexis Noosa is more than an experience, it’s a lifestyle! If you want more information on the courses that we offer, click here.