Halloween Party Craft really set the scene at this year’s event. Our Halloween Crafters got busy in the Student Lounge making paper garlands and decorations a week before. They upcycled a lot of waste materials, making lots of good stuff from basic materials, which the staff really LOVED.
The crafters used tape recorder ribbon, old newspaper, magazine pages and felt pens to create ghosts, bats and spiders. When the students decorated the college, the vibe was decidedly spooky.
Lexis Sydney teachers help set the tone on party night
On party night, the Lexis Sydney teachers helped to set the tone. They gathered to welcome the arriving guests at Reception. What a shame a Lexis Homestay Host or Agent didn’t drop by for an impromptu inspection of the college (as they sometimes do). The dress code would have impressed!
Lexis Sydney gallery of ghouls – finalists in the best dressed awards
Costumes weren’t limited to witches and vampires. A couple of Santas showed up, an American Indian Chief, cowgirls and a cowboy. Two very glamorous roller-derby types with high bling wigs added a bit of sparkle. There were some horned devils, a dude in a toga, a creepy looking clown, and two police women escorting a jailbird in an orange jumpsuit. Plus a cyclops – at least we think it was a cyclops. You decide.
Halloween vocabulary tips
Here’s a few words and phrases from this Halloween blog post that students may not be familiar with:
- Halloween Crafters: Crafter is a noun which describes a person who makes things by hand. Crafters is the plural. Halloween Crafters are people who make Halloween related items.
- Vibe: A slang word used to describe a feeling or atmosphere. The vibe at the party was great! The students had so much fun.
- Paper garlands: Strings of decorations made from paper. Did you see the paper garlands hanging in the stairway of Lexis Sydney?
- Upcycle: Upcycle is a verb used to describe the reuse of something which has been discarded. The Halloween Crafters made good use of the old newspaper – they upcycled it into paper garlands for the stairway. The world needs imaginative people who can upcycle the things that many people discard/throw away.
- Spooky: An adjective used in informal English to describe a ghostly atmosphere or feeling. That old empty house is spooky at night!
- Impromptu: An adjective used in formal English to describe something unplanned or sudden. An impromptu gathering of people turned into a party.
- Witch: Hermione Granger, the witch, is one of Harry Potter’s best friends. She’s good at casting spells because of her excellent pronunciation skills.
- Vampire: A vampire is a noun used to describe a blood sucking creature. Bram Stoker wrote a famous book about a frightening vampire called Dracula.
- Roller-derby: A type of speed skating race done on roller skates.
- Bling: An informal word used to describe something bright and shiny.
- Jailbird: A slang word which means prisoner. He went to prison so many times that he became known as jailbird.
Two special students
Aside from prizes for the best costumes, a couple of appreciation certificates were presented to two very special students!
Ana’s creativity was evident all around the college with her interior design touches for creepy decor and Tomo got a belated award for this amazing video which he put together a few weeks ago at the Lexis’s Got Talent Show.
A special mention goes to Lexis Sydney graduate, Kodai Shirai. Kodai filmed our Halloween Party – we spotted it on his Instagram page. Take a look!
Want to learn English in Australia?
The Lexis English Australia Brochure 2023 is now available. You can download it here.
About Lexis Sydney in Manly
Lexis Sydney is directly across the road from the world famous surf breaks of Manly Beach. The college is well positioned between the city and some of Sydney’s most beautiful beaches and natural parks.
The college provides quality education experiences in General English, IELTS Preparation, Cambridge FCE and Cambridge CAE. Open 13 hours a day Mon-Fri, Lexis Sydney has morning, afternoon and evening classes. Average class sizes are 12-15, and the college can accommodate about 438 students. Lexis Sydney is currently full. Contact us about enrolments from March 2023.