On Friday September 30th, students finished their week by making and enjoying vegan caramel slice with our Student Services Coordinator Dominic.
Dominic is vegan and shared with students his simple 6-ingredient recipe for a sweet and gooey vegan caramel slice.
None of the students had tried a vegan-version of a caramel slice and they were eager to see if it could live up to a delicious, traditional caramel slice.
This caramel slice is also gluten-free.
For the chocolate layer
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
For the caramel layer
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Making the chocolate layer:
- Put baking paper in your pan of choice
- Add the cacao, coconut oil, and maple syrup to a small pan over low heat and stir constantly until melted and smooth
- Pour into your pan and put the pan into the freezer for 15 minutes to set
Making the caramel layer (while the chocolate layer sets):
- Add the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt to a small sauce pan over medium-low heat
- Whisk together constantly for 3-5 minutes or until melted.
- Let the mixture cool slightly while you take the chocolate layer out from the freezer
Creating the caramel slice
- Pour the caramel over the chocolate
- Return the pan to the freezer to set the caramel layer for 1 hour
- Slice into squares and store in refrigerator or freezer.
The making process is quick and simple, the toughest part is waiting for each layer to set in the freezer.
Dominic had pre-prepared another caramel slice for the students to enjoy during the activity as their caramel slice would need time to set before slicing and eating.
All but one student came back for seconds of the vegan caramel slice and it elicited lots of mmmmmm’s and ahhhhhhh’s.
Preparing and sharing a meal together is also great way to practice your language skills.
Dominic took the student-made caramel slice home to slice and keep in the freezer over the weekend. Then brought it in for them to consume more on Tuesday.
Students had lots of fun making and enjoying the vegan caramel slice and are interested in more cooking activities with Dominic.
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE, and English plus Surfing in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.