This afternoon our activity was Korean Cooking Class.
The cooking activities are always popular and 12 students joined Nicole in the kitchen.
Bibimbap is one of the most well-known Korean dishes. A rice bowl topped with all sorts of seasoned sautéed vegetables, marinated meat (usually beef), a fried egg sunny side up, finished with a sprinkle of sesame and generous dollop of a sweet-spicy-savory Bibimbap sauce.
Bibimbap – Trust the Koreans to transform the humble rice bowl into a recipe that’s revered all around the world! With a kaleidoscope of seasoned sautéed vegetables, Korean marinated beef, and the signature fried egg, the thing that really seals the deal is the bright red, spicy Bibimbap Sauce.
Mix it all up into one big, delicious mess, then dig in!
We used a recipe by Recipetineats.com and all students were involved in cooking.
Keiko & Sara started on the sauce.
4 tbsp gochujang paste
2 tbsp mirin ( Chinese Cooking Wine)
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1.5 tsp soy sauce
3 tsp white sugar
1 garlic clove , finely grated
2.5 tsp sesame oil
Mix until sugar is resolved
beef tenderloin or thick steak , very finely sliced
1/4 green apple , grated using box grater
3 garlic cloves , minced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Honey
Nuriel & Gloria were peeling and chopping vegetables.
Thalis was responsible for thinly slicing and cooking the meat
Maho fried all the vegetables
Vegetables we used:
- Zucchini and carrot– cut into batons, optional to sprinkle with salt then fry until soft.
- Spinach – chop then fry, super quick!
- Mushrooms – fry
- Beansprouts – steam or boil until wilted, squeeze out excess liquid then season with garlic, sesame and fish sauce OR soy sauce.
- Corn – drain water
- Spring Onions – Chop in thin slices
How to assemble your Bibibap:
- Fry eggs in a skillet to your taste (I like mine with runny yolks).
- Place warm rice in bowls.
- Top with vegetables and beef, as pictured in post, then lastly, the egg.
- Serve with Bibimbap Sauce!
Everybody could help themselves to a delicious Bibimbap dish !
This is our result!
The students had a great afternoon and could practice their English while cooking a delicious meal.
For full recipe, please follow this link:
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE, and English plus Surfing in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.