Yesterday there was a huge turnout for our Aussie Food and Slang activity.
The tasting menu included the following Aussie classics:
- Meat pies and sausage rolls with tomato sauce
- Vegemite on bread
- Fairy bread
- Tim Tams
Bella introduced each food item, then explained its popular in Australia and how to eat it like an Aussie.
What did our students think?
- The meat pie / sausage roll with tomato sauce combination was a resounding hit!
- Vegemite was polarising, a few loved it, but most were disgusted and confused about its popularity here
- The Lamingtons were enjoyed by all, and the favourite for some.
- The consensus on fairy bread was so-so, just like sugar on bread
- There were mixed opinions on Milo and it was familiar to those from Japan and Chile
- Tim Tams were known and loved by most students and for our first timers it was a delicious surprise
- Finally, Twisties were liked but, “nothing special” for most.
Overall, it was an enjoyable tasting experience. Thank you to all students who participated with open minds and palates!
For the Aussie slang portion of the activity, students started by watching entertaining clips of Aussies using slang. As a group we tried to interpret the slang and our Aussie teacher Bella revealed the meaning of each slang word.
Some of the slang students learnt included:
- Breaky = Breakfast
- Maccas = McDonalds
- Straya = Australia
- Avo = Avocado
- Mate = Friend
- Sunnies = Sunglasses
- G’day = Good day
- Arvo = Afternoon
- Hubby = Husband
- Tinnie = Beer
- Sheila = woman
- Barbie = Barbeque
And so many more!
To finish we played a fun game of slang bingo with the prize being more Aussie food! 😋
Not studying with us yet, but would like to?
Lexis Byron delivers academic excellence in arguably Australia’s most desirable study location where you can combine your studies with the great outdoors. Studying at Lexis Byron is more than an experience, it’s a lifestyle! Lexis Byron offers an unrivalled afterschool activity calendar that includes surf lessons, cooking classes, artistic activities, afternoon escapes to surrounding hotspots and full-day weekend adventures. If you want more information on the courses that we offer, click here.
Learn English in Byron Bay. Lexis English students study General English, IELTS, FCE, CAE, and English plus Surfing in a friendly and professional school right in the heart of Byron Bay and only 15 minutes from the beach.